What is Field Service Management?
2nd March 2020 Protean General
One of the most complicated tasks for many businesses is managing their team of field workers efficiently when they are out on the road. The issues that disrupt this process are all fairly common ones – communication trouble, incorrect information, unforeseen delays – and they largely stem from inevitable human error. Thus, as mobile devices have developed rapidly, Field Service Management software has emerged as an effective method of solving these issues quickly and easily.
FSM Technology – automate your operations
Field Service Management tools, also known as FSM technology, is a type of software system that automates the mobile operations of your service workers. It helps companies deliver an effective and efficient onsite service by allowing workers in the field to track requests, communicate and react to unforeseen issues, all in the palm of their hand.
This technology has evolved massively over the years to include a variety of features. At their core, however, they have always tracked the progress of your live jobs and displayed this clearly on a desktop or mobile device. The software also streamlines the invoicing and payment process for your services, and stores all your business data on one easy-to-use platform.
Features of Field Service Management include:
- Managing work orders
- Viewing stock levels and ordering
- Fleet tracking
- Reporting and invoicing
These features improve coordination between field technicians and the office, which ultimately leads to happier customers, a happier workforce and more revenue for the business.
Who needs the software?
Regardless of the size of the company or its mobile workforce, any business that offers a field service can benefit from this technology. Typically, field services include:
- Repair Work that requires a service technician
- Maintenance Operators carrying out either preventive, predictive, or corrective tasks
- Catering Companies that manage deliveries to businesses
- Installation for household furnishing
- Business Consultation companies also require mobile workers much of the time, despite having no hands-on work
- Security Services such as setting up CCTV systems
You can find out more about what makes a field service business here.
Is this tool essential if you offer field services?
In short, Field Service Management software can significantly improve the efficiency of your business, which, in any competitive industry, is absolutely essential. Indeed, the main benefits are as follows:
- Reduced Costs such as paperwork, postage, and printing is reduced dramatically
- With better route calculation and less time wastage going from job to job, there’s potential for Increases in Fuel Savings
- Automating features such as invoicing can Improve Customer Satisfaction as it makes it easier for you to meet deadlines
- Better efficiency can lead to better productivity, which means more tasks and Greater Service Revenue
Overall, this tool can boost profit margins for many field service companies through the above benefits. Moreover, with some statistics showing that 75% of businesses with mobile teams of 50 or more will be using FSM technology by the end of 2020, upgrading to this software may be vital.